Welcoming teachers from all over the EU
Erasmus+ courses at EarlyBird
We offer 1-week teacher training courses in the Netherlands, focused on the methodology of teaching English as a second language in primary school (children aged 4 to 12 years old).
EarlyBird is the centre of expertise in the Netherlands for teaching English as a second language in primary school (children aged 4 to 12 years old). We have over 20 years of experience supporting schools at all levels to offer a quality early English programme, and to use English as a tool for teaching Global Citizenship. Our network consists of over 300 Dutch schools who have embraced our concept. We also develop (CLIL) lesson materials, partner with teacher training colleges, and work with universities on new research.
Our courses take place in Rotterdam, the Netherlands, just 30 minutes by train from Schiphol Airport and 40 minutes from Amsterdam. The programme consists of 5 days with up to three 1,5-hour sessions per day. There’s time for activities and excursions as well, and we can organise a school visit or meet-up with Dutch teachers in our network to share experiences and ideas. The exact programme and timetable will be put together taking the wishes of the group into account.
English in the primary classroom
This course is for teachers who want to learn more about the methodology of teaching English in primary school and improve their English along the way. The course is mainly practical —learning by doing— and covers all sorts of topics that are central to primary English methodology, such as:
- The English language needed to teach lessons in English (classroom English)
- Having fun and creating a safe environment for the children
- Challenging children to speak English
- Teaching English using songs and games
- Introducing and practising vocabulary and structures
- Using cooperative structures
- Teaching the four skills: speaking, listening, reading and writing
- Choosing appropriate materials
- Using creativity to adapt your coursebook
- Integrating English into everyday routines
- Differentiation to challenge children at their own level
At the end of the course, you will know the most important principles of primary English methodology, and you will have many practical tools and ideas to bring fun and creativity to your own lessons.
CLIL in the primary classroom
This course is for teachers who want to learn more about the methodology of teaching English through other subjects (Content and Language Integrated Learning, or CLIL). The course combines theory and practice: practical activities take place within the theoretical framework of CLIL as an approach to teaching.
- The role of language in teaching content
- The characteristics of CLIL and how they relate to each other
- The aims of CLIL in general and of specific CLIL activities
- Implementing CLIL within the curriculum
- The children’s learning processes when learning new content in a second language
- Feedback and assessment
- Developing your own CLIL activities, lessons and projects
At the end of the course, you will know the most important principles of the methodology of CLIL, and you will know how to develop your own CLIL materials.
The next courses will take place from 9-13 October 2023. For groups of 10 or more, we can also organise courses in other weeks of your preference.
Apply for Erasmus+ funding with our help
Schools can apply for Erasmus+ funding for our courses. The grant covers all expenses, including travel, accommodation, meals, and course fees. Get in touch with us for more information about the Erasmus+ funding and support with the application.
Prices depend on group size and wishes regarding activities. Get in touch with us for a quote.
Get in touch!
For more information about our courses and Erasmus+ funding, please get in touch with us:
+31 6 21429897